Common driving mistakes
- Loosing attention - 'zoning out'
Stay relaxed but totally focused. Concentrate on your journey but not on your pending issues.
- Driving while drowsy
Take breaks frequently or as required.Make sure to get adequate rest before long trips.
- Becoming distracted inside car (cell phone, radio,passengers)
Avoid using cell phone while driving.
- Not planning your trip prior to commencing.
- Failing to adjust to adverse weather conditions
Slow down when it is raining and adjust for visibility when visibility is poor. Allow longer stopping distances.
- Driving aggressively
Allow yourself ample time to make the trip and avoid tailgating, jumping red lights and stop signs, etc. Remain calm and drive safely.
- Changing lanes without checking blinds spots
Signal, check mirrors, and then use quick glance before you turn. Make lane changes gradually.
- Making wrong assumptions about other drivers' intentions
Drive with defensive mindset. Always be prepared for the unexpected. Make your intentions clear to other drivers in front, at your side, and behind you.
- Ignoring road signs, signals and markings.
Obey the traffic signs and remember the speed limit is the legal limit in ideal conditions.
- Ignoring essential auto maintenance.
Do daily and weekly maintenance checks of brake, lights, tyres, etc. Replace brake pads every 15000 kms.